Question:
How can we help people convert to more energy efficient devices?
rodneycrater
2006-06-30 07:38:56 UTC
There is a lot of work to be done to help solve the environmental problems we face.

What NEW methods, motivations, incentives and organizational efforts can we develop and utilize to help people convert to more energy efficient devices ( including but not limited to manufacturers equipment, autos, and personal home devices)?
247 answers:
Her Majesty
2006-07-01 16:26:01 UTC
Make them cheaper.
Brice L
2006-07-02 00:09:31 UTC
Well after reading all 99 responses it looks like everything was covered. Of course we want it to be cheaper, and better than what's already out there but that's not going to happen at least not with the technology just hitting the market. As some of you have said the companies need to make a profit and make up for R&D so that preaty much kills the cheaper notion for the time being. Over time the price drops due to better products comeing out, competition, and paying off of debts. One thing thing that was mentioned that I and the majority of others have seemed to have forgotten is that they are businessmen and in the end they want to make money by any means possible. In stateing this the point I want to make is that the product should be what it's be advertised as. If it's suppose to use less energy I want to know how much less to descern if it's worth the buy. We are moving towards energy efficient products slowly but shurely. The thing that we the consumers have to watch out for is if we are getting the best there possibly is which most of the time we aren't. A technology is fabricated and then degraded to be more cost effective for the company in mass production. So in the end we get cheated. This is where the government comes in and can "encourage" businesses to put forth all they've got by means of rebates, subsidies, laws, lobbying, and a myriad of other methodes that I failed to mention. To take this thing to fifth gear the government has to be behind the technology.

For electric cars charging stations must be easily accessable and numerous. When converted toyotas new hybrid is able to do 100 miles to the gallon on the freeway. So the question isn't, "Is this energy effiecient stuff any good?" it's, "Where can I find out more about these products and where are they sold?" As for the consumers part we need to be aware of the product's existance and become educated in why they benefit us. We are on the verge of a huge technology boom not only in energy efficient products but in many areas especially nanotech of which can be connected to creating more energy efficient products if business, the government, and the people all get involved.
anyone
2006-06-30 22:35:14 UTC
Rule number 1 in American business is it has to sell. Rule 1.1 is it has to make money for the people who sell it. There is currently one whole lotta money being made by energy companies and auto makers and petroleum producers by selling inefficient energy products. Hundreds of thousands of people are employed in these industries. This is not a conspiracy theory: oil companies will sell oil until there is none left. Many of the other large energy suppliers are already finding more efficient and environmentally friendly ways of producing electrical power, but they have to produce it and sell it at a profit. They need improvements in their technology. The auto makers are showing the willingness to produce vehicles that use less petroleum, but again, they have to make money and no newly-developed product is cheap. The sales have to pay for research and development in the first few years before the price can go down. If there was more consumer demand for energy-efficient products- along with lots of consumer dollars- companies would be happy to supply those products. It will take a shift in people's thinking about energy use. For at least the past thirty years, conserving energy has been a nice or right or good thing to do. It's been one option. But then there's the automobile. If some tech-head can get an electric car to do 120 on those long interstate drives- with a good cd player- then you'd have something to sell. The oil guys would get upset, but they should be able to easily re-tool to hydrogen production using seawater. It would take a push from both ends of the business food chain, both products to sell and people to buy products. Oh, and like everyone else says: make it inexpensive.
Robert B
2006-06-30 21:21:22 UTC
Education, dedication, and a bit of diplomacy. The American public needs to be aware of the devices that are already produced and on the market to increase energy efficiency. There has to be a real dedication to improving energy efficiency and fuel costs, not just in one ear and out the other, or, turning the other way when the subject comes up. Unfortunately we Americans are a procrastinating nation of people and can talk the talk with the best of them but we haven't got the walk the walk down yet.

Finally, diplomacy and lobbying. Yes, that's what I said. The government has so many devices available now to help the economy but refuses to put them on the market as of yet. The hybrid car for example. The car had been developed or years before it actually became available to purchase, there's also an experimental carburetor out that will increase gas mileage of the average car by 2 fold.

We the public need to find a way to diplomatically increase the awareness of what we already have or we're just going to kill ourselves economically in the long run.
2006-07-04 13:31:18 UTC
I think that before targeting individuals by motivating them in any which way or form to take action in this (which should without a doubt be a global effort), the pressure must be on corporations. I am not only talking about industries that pollute and contaminate our environment at an excessive rate, but I am talking about starting from the inside in. By this, I mean that it is obvious that it won't be economically convenient for corporations to take up on these energy efficient devices to manufacture because if it were at all, there would be a wide variety of electronics and so forth all around us. The products that are out there already are not aggressively marketed, so as consumers, we are not given much information about this products unless we are already environmentally conscious enough to be interested in the first place.

Until its convenient for a huge money making company that has the resources and care to take action and set an example for others, things will not change enough to make a difference.
Sephra
2006-06-30 20:43:55 UTC
Making things affordable is one thing. Also, I think a lot of people are not very knowledgeable about new, environmentally friendly devices. I think people need to be more educated.

I seem to be a little skeptical when it comes to products being advertised as energy efficient because they never really say what makes it that way. How much energy are they saving? One example is the new hybrid cars. I know they are partly run on electricity, but does it really make a difference?

I'd like to see better explanations, more information and proof that these things make a difference in the environment and that they are cost effective rather than just bandying about the term "energy efficient" and expecting people to just take their word for it.
fallen69jedi
2006-07-01 21:34:14 UTC
The one thing we can do to get people to convert to energy saving devices is to advertise them more, also to make let's say for example contractors, have salesmen come to them and show them the latest ideas and resources out there. Most don't know or ever seen new solar panels and Geo thermal units. If items like this was picked to be installed in model homes that's are being developed people will see them as they walk thorough the house. Same for electric cars they are shown here and there but never any true comparison on how the technology holds up after a few years.People want and need hands on and more exposure to these new things and piut a t price point people can afford offer rebates and tax breaks and it might be a winner.
pbponch27
2006-07-01 15:34:45 UTC
I don't believe it HAS to be an issue of producing new social marketing ways to turn our society's head. I just read about this very topic a Social Marketing text book by Kotler. They gave two examples as ways to 'get things done' and one is this exact topic..."energy conservation." A radio DJ found a story from Israel and used it for his own experiment of energy conservation. Over his radio show he announced that at a specific time everyone listening needs to go through their house or office and turn off or unplug any lights and equipment not being used. Through that show and 5 minute experiment, he showed his whole listening audience they just saved $300,000 and enough power to power 40,000 homes. The use of media and statistics...people want to see facts.

But to address the use of energy efficient devices, the example of water conservation is more appropriate. A city handed out water conserving shower heads on the door steps of the community with instillation instructions, and to leave old shower head in bag to be picked up on a certain day (this would show how many people did it). 300,000 shower head at a 65% instillation rate. If our nation is real about being conscientious, the government should find such ways to make conservation a convenience instead of a stereotyped "upper class" way of life. Right now, most products (i.e. solar power or hybrid cars) are too expensive for mid-class.
curiousgeorgey
2006-07-01 09:35:44 UTC
Cost is the main motivator. With so many people earning minimum wage the most you can ask of them is to use plastic instead of paper and hope they don't litter. I make a little more then minimum wage but I still can't afford the environment friendly vehicles or to put solar panels on my roof.

Those who can afford it though, educating them of the pros and cons of different energy sources and devices, how they help the environment, are cost effective for businesses as well as personal use might be a motivator for them.

Getting the government involved, putting laws and agreements in place could help.

But no matter how much the person has, they have to feel the need or to want to change over to the more energy efficient devices, and; from my experience in life, there are a bung-hole full of people who just don't give a damn.
sugarandspice01
2006-07-02 12:53:38 UTC
'Help people convert' would be to show the efficency and the cost effeciency. I understand it shouldn't be about the dollar, especially if it is going to help in the long run, but today people's minds are run by the dollar sign. We want things that don't cost a lot. Or if it does cost alot, how will it pay us back (efficency wise, reliability wise, global wise) in the next 10 years or so. And goodness for all...do not do this in an infomercial!

Start with the little everyday things that everyone uses. Understandably go for the cars...but people are leery. So go for the home goods that might help. Go for schools and have a day where children either made, do, or see the 'cool' things that will help their lives be better in the long run...it will trickle to the parents. It must catch on somehow.

Be well...
cherryred64gto
2006-06-30 10:40:35 UTC
My dad just bought an energy efficient device for his home. It is something he has wanted for years and years, and he still had to finance it. The cost is too high. It will take longer than he will live for it to pay for itself. He bought an outdoor woodstove that heats the house and the water. It roasts them out of the house, doesn't seem to be any way to make it just right and a lot of times they don't have hot water. Another thing, he spends almost every single day cutting wood now so he can keep the thing running through the winter. His health and eye sight are bad so don't know how much longer he can keep that up and when he dies, my mother will not have any way to cut the wood and keep it running so it really wasn't a very efficient purchase at all. The price was too high and the item is not useful if it forces you to become a slave to it, cutting wood all day everyday. So, to answer your question, the devices should save time, money and energy expended as well.
jerzeeshortee
2006-07-04 07:03:11 UTC
Tax breaks for people who purchase and use hybrid or fully electric vehicles. I believe there should be a law that mandates how many miles regular gas vehicles are allowed to be driven and the only way to monitor it is through GPS. Once the yearly monitoring is over the people who stayed on course for the mandatory limit will get a tax break. Tax breaks for people who use public transportation instead of driving all together or who ride bikes(nothing gas powered) is another idea. Also making alternative forms of energy saving items much easier for the little people on the totem pole to acquire would be great.

I hope you're doing something worthwhile with all of this information that you are compiling. I have only a handful of ideas but there are so many others here and I think the main point for any real growth is incentives and mandates/laws. Good luck with this okay.
2006-07-04 02:24:34 UTC
As a philosopher and inventor of many advanced energy systems and devices I would say to you that there is no easy way to change people's mind set.

I used to think that common sense, cheaper prices and some care for the environment might all be motivations. I now know that even if you make energy efficient devices cheaper, people our of "habit" will still use inefficient methods until they are forced to change.

Sure, there will always be the 5% of advanced thinkers and innovators who change first. But 95% of the world's population will stay in the same routine until some crisis.

I wish it were not true. Wait until we run out of oil I think is the only answer.
JC
2006-07-03 21:49:57 UTC
This may sound harsh, but mandatory limitations will probably have to be imposed before some people will ever take it serious. Water use restrictions, for example, are already being used by some communities and could be implemented throughout the country.

Public education is rather lame. I do not know of any PBS type TV shows currently devoted to this subject matter, but there should be. Someone should have at least a weekly show demonstrating how to use solar energy, wind energy, water conservation, and so on. Improved education of the public would be my first choice of where to start.
spirus40
2006-07-03 07:34:11 UTC
The majority of consumers are going to use whatever is cheaper or more convenient. I do not think that people are going to willingly sacrifice either in the name of the environment. While I think government is grossly inefficient in many ways, I don't think the free market method is going to lead in the direction of energy efficient devices without incentive. Government has to take the lead by making it economically profitable for businesses to manufacture such devices and unprofitable to keep the status quo. Non profit organizations might also contribute. I recall that Burt Rutan developed the civilian space rocket in response in part to the large cash reward for coming up with this technology. Maybe something like this could translate to creating environmentally friendly technology.
jpspencer1966
2006-07-02 09:38:11 UTC
The first thing I would do is make people aware that yes, they CAN get off the power grid. I believe that not enough people are aware that individual energy independence is a reality in the here and now, and not some far-flung fantasy.

People can start small. I myself have converted from a gas-powered lawn mower to an old-fashioned rotating blade push mower for my fairly small lawn. It uses no gasoline and it cuts the grass just as well as a power mower.

Simple steps like that can lead to other areas around the home. Unfortunately, our current government is geared to make Big Business the winner for tax breaks and incentives and not consumers. A timely change can happen in November if everyone goes to the polls and throws out every incumbent in Congress that they possibly can.
diogenese19348
2006-07-02 07:37:43 UTC
We already are doing in through tax incentives.

The electric companies are offering better rates if you update your equipment also.

Basically, you have to offer a kick back to have the consumer get over the cost of replacing the older, less efficient equipment, and make sure they know that option exists.

For example, I am not going to replace a $600 dollar refrigerator for a $100 a year energy savings any time soon. It just isn't worth it to me. Give me a $300 rebate somewhere on it though, and it becomes a no brainer. It does not matter who it comes from.

Anyway, that is how you go about it.
bigrob
2006-06-30 21:04:08 UTC
It always has and will come down to two things: cost and convenience. If you get those two nailed you have solved your problem. Most people are NOT going to adopt a new "device" just because it is energy efficient. It has to make sense to their budget and it has to fit into their life naturally and conveniently. Most people are happy if it is also environmentally friendly, but only if the first two criteria are met also. There is always the "what's in it for me factor." And nothing so esoteric as "it's good for the environment" is going to be enough of a motivator on it's own. This may be a bubble buster for greenies but it is just the way it is.
BizMomof3
2006-07-03 06:53:15 UTC
Have the government to spend money and time on ads about all the various tax incentives regarding using more energy efficient devices.

Provide more tax incentives for using more energy efficient devices in the home.

Currently, I'm a homemaker and no longer have access to the commuter incentives. There should be some tax-based incentives for everyone to use public transportation, instead of just for commuters.
isc_alli
2006-07-02 06:01:14 UTC
There is no doubt that the main incentive for anyone to convert to a new technology is the cost of the product. Mainly, if they can afford it they buy it.

For people who have the money to burn, they buy it anyway, because it is the newest thing, and owning the product implies exclusivity, and if it in turn, decreases pollution, helps the environment, is more efficient and all that jazz? - even better.

The main thing is to get the conversions started, so maybe the suppliers can offer deals and incentives in order to reach out to the consumer, because lets face it, everything is very expensive when it first comes out, so most people wait a few years to buy it when the prices are lower
jp
2006-07-01 19:33:00 UTC
Sometimes you just gotta take away the current choices. Make people use the newer ones. But you also have to make it as affordable. For example, most people in the real world can't afford a brand new car with all the options. If you want to save the world, big business needs to eliminate capitalism. The system needs to be a more people friendly communist type model. Not literally communist but starting with the same basic principles of everyone equal and on the same playing field. No mega rich and filthy poor masses. If everyones basic needs are taken care of and everyone is simply working for a better planet. While capitalism still exists and profit is the bottom line I'm afraid the planet is doomed.
wyderp
2006-07-02 14:58:10 UTC
one thing we can do is convert our own homes -- replace lighting with flourescent bulbs, get an energy efficiency audit, convert to solar energy, fix attic insulation issues, replace windows with high U-factor panes, energy-star appliances, etc.

Even if we will be selling our homes in the near future, we can possibly sell for a higher price, and there is an energy efficiency tax incentive we can benefit from. But regardless, the benefits of the conversion will be passed down to the next home owner and voila! we have done our share. No need to even convince people, just expose them to it. Eventually this will catch on. Hell, the technology works in Sweden, why can't it work here? do we have bad sun here or what?! :)
elizabeth_ashley44
2006-07-02 07:44:17 UTC
What everyone else said- make it cheaper. So many people have a hard time looking to saving money in the long run, which is what most energy-efficient devices offer. If it's affordable in the NOW, people will be more likely to buy it.

I also think it's going to take some serious heavy bipartisanship in the US to promote the idea that we need to be energy-efficient. Everyone's so divided these days. I wouldn't be surprised if people refused to be more aware simply so they won't be siding with "the enemy."

Ooh, and we have GOT to start making fun of people with SUVs. My guess is that a large chunk of SUV owners were the popular kids in high school. If we can ridicule them into buying something smarter, I think we'll make a big difference. They respond to peer pressure!
mapman777
2006-07-01 21:45:09 UTC
I think it is a question of choice. Right now, most of us get into our cars and drive to the nearest gas station to fuel. What if there was not only that gas station, but also a station to change recharged batteries for our electric cars? Also, what if there were yet another station for bio-fuels - from sugarcane, corn, or recycled materials? People also do need to see the cost effective side to those choices - are their rebates involved? Tax incentives? You can say pretty much the same for energy efficient housing (solar, geothermal, and wind power) - there must be choices to suit the individuals needs. Manufacturers need to be committed to the idea of choice and people will soon follow. If corporate America does not do their part, then people want do their part either.
R V
2006-07-01 19:59:06 UTC
Get rid of the lobbyists and faulty politicians. The reasons nothing is happening is due to money. The government does want to fork out the money and the lobbyists buy off the politicians to ensure that nothing will change. Look at how many movies and warnings we have and still nothing has been done. We need new leaders that give a d#@*n and care about the people and the safety of this planet and our environment. Here are some possibilities: Go to schools, keep people informed, join WWF to help save rain forests and animals, perform a benefit concert to save the planet and have the proceeds go to promote the ne technologies that would help the environment rather than destroy it.
jqdsilva
2006-07-01 18:36:10 UTC
The best way to convert people to energy efficient devices is money. Current devices and technology that are polluting also happen to be the cheapest. What needs to be done is to create efficient devices that are also affordable and reliable. Keep in mind that people want to better the environment; but they also work too hard and too long in the day to spend for twice the cost of a better technology.
jeb_oi812
2006-07-01 13:35:56 UTC
Get the manufactures to lower the price. There is no since in the price of an energy efficient devices being much higher than the same product that is not energy efficient. That's commonsense. People aren't going to pay for what they can't afford. At least they shouldn't.
jensenjoe
2006-07-01 07:18:23 UTC
The answer is simple,---Just make people believe that energy companies are serious about saving energy, and saving people money at the same time.

Because of the recent sky-rocketing gas prices, most people believe that energy companies want to get into their pockets and stay there. In 1974 oil companies told us we were running out of oil, we found out that was not true, we have plenty of it. Now they can't tell us the same thing, so they are saying there aren't enough of refineries, but it's the oil companies who would be building them, and there is no incentive to build them, if the result would be to lower the price. So they lye, and tell us misconceptions. If they wanted to give the American people competition in energy they would have done that a long time ago, but no they want to stay in our pockets forever.

Brazil has figured out for their people that they can and have created a climate of COMPETITION at every fuel pump, and at every gas station.

They have Ethenol, Acholol, and Gasoline, and the price is cheaper for the other two, WHY can't we do that here in America?

The answer is because the rich want to get richer, and they don't want competition in the energy markets.

My friend lives in the New York area, he has a boat which is a gas hog, the last time he bought gas for his boat he paid nearly $4.00 a gallon, and he said it has Ethenol in it. This is what I'm talking about, they don't want competition in fuel, so they will mix ethenol in the gas, they won't make it known, and they will not lower the price, all the time the big CEO's are lining their pockets with our hard earned cash, i.e. the rich want to get richer.
CARLOS_TINCO
2006-07-01 05:10:22 UTC
Well to start with you have to start living efficiently. It is not a geek thing as seen in movies. Turn off lights and equipment when you are not using it. Use a bike or walk if you can to get around your everyday chores. Make efforts to utilize public transport to work. Toilet train your children early- thereby garbage could be reduced. Say no to those cheap imports- you are not sure about the environmental /labor record of the manufacturer.
sal the dog
2006-07-01 03:35:23 UTC
Big business is a major user of resources. Convincing them to adopt a more energy efficient stance would have several advantages. Business is more likely to have capital to invest, and look to the long term benefits, and lower life cycle costs. Tax advantages could help to persuade this change.

Once the technologies become more mainstream, and familiar to the employees of the big business, they will be more acceptable and available for home applications.

Take LED light bulbs for example. Currently, they are about $30 each and are hard to find. $30 for a light bulb? But - they last MUCH longer than incandescent, and use MUCH less energy for the same amount of light (2 watts vs. 60 watts). They will pay for themselves in less than a year, but the price tag is still hard to swallow. If they were broadly adopted by big business, their production would go up and costs come down - and people would become more familiar with the technology, so more likely to adopt it themselves. Good question!

Cheers!
TheSlayor
2006-07-08 14:23:50 UTC
No philosophicla incentive to bother. At some point in time, all matter will have been converted to energy and the universe will effectively wind down to absolute zero (2nd Law of Thermodynamics). Barring God winding the universe up again, that'll be it. So why get all bothered about conservation - its a losing game, only dragging out the inevitable, like putting a 130 year old on mandatory life support to eke out another few painfilled days. No point. Everyone knows the end result.

Have a nice day!
Sensei Rob
2006-07-03 10:45:38 UTC
If you want more people to convert to more energy saving devices then they need to be cheaper and more available than the others.

Take a page out of the Wal-Mart business plan. People will buy the lowest priced item that they can easily get. You can't make America, or the world for that matter, care enough to make a sacrifice in their already tight family budgets in order to purchase a higher priced item because it's economically better.

I don't think that you can get to where you want to go by relying on informing the public to the better way. There are too many people out there who just don't care.

My answer : Make it inexpensive, Make it available, (and maybe advertise it on Paul Harvey).
bitto luv
2006-07-04 17:26:35 UTC
I don't think I have ideas on NEW methods or innovations, but to me the first step is to improve what we already have. We need to first EDUCATE our country on global warming and energy efficient devices. We already know that the biggest problem is ignorance...many people (including our President) have long been under the impression that global warming does not exist. So, the first step would be meaningful education about the devices we do have and about the problem itself.

My second idea is to make these devices and cars more accessible to the wide public. The devices, earth friendly items, cars, etc. are more expensive than people believe they should be and are out of economic reach for many people.

Next, I believe we should have grants and increased tax-breaks for those people who do wish to make their homes energy friendly. What we already have in place really doesn't cut it if a lower middle class family is trying to make their home more energy friendly (my hubby and I are currently making that attempt ourselves!)

If we want people to convert to more energy efficient devices and more earth friendly or green homes, then we simply have to make it more accessible to a wider range of the population. We have to help lower the costs of these items by helping to make them more popular. How to popularize them? By giving people more, worthwhile and easily accessible incentives if they do purchase these items.

The average family with an average income cannot afford these items on a regular basis. If we educate our families and children, make it more possible for them to afford the items, the items will become more popular, become inexpensive to purchase, and more people will buy them.
Spyder
2006-07-04 17:49:50 UTC
we can convert people to more energy efficient devices by only putting energy efficient devices on the market. and if that isn't possible make the price much lower than the devices that aren't energy efficient. as things break people buy new devices/products. which would replace the devices that aren't energy efficient with energy efficiency. it would also replace devices with newer technology and things would become more energy efficient.

you know as well as i do things that were efficient in 1990 aren't really all that efficient today
?
2006-07-04 19:56:33 UTC
For me, it's a matter of cost. When I built my new home, the builder talked to me about energy efficiency and it made sense, and I had the money to make the initial capital outlay to get it all done, and, voila, my home is more energy efficient than anything I've ever lived in. My car is almost the most energy efficient car I've ever owned, but a recent accident made it impossible for me to get the best model of the diesel sedan because I lost my right leg and therefore cannot drive standard transmission anymore. But just a little research and common sense moved me to buy the automatic version of the standard transmission model I once owned, and so I've got the second most energy efficient car I've ever owned, and I'm way ahead of most people. Isn't it ironic though that the very people who scream for energy efficient automobiles and a cleaner environment have stopped the manufacturer from selling more of their diesels in the U.S. until they pass even more demands of theirs. Great idea, maybe, but stupid-as-hell application by the EPA. Not unusual behavior for them though. Cost is the number one factor for me as jimvalentinojr and rednecklady17 said from the very start. That's where the EPA is still caught chasing it's tail. I can't wait till they catch it one day. God Bless you.
AmandaHugandKiss
2006-07-03 18:57:13 UTC
Make it cheaper so that people can actually afford the more environmentally safe products. I was using ethonal until I found out that it burns way faster than regular fuel at the same price per gallon. And I would be more than happy to purchase a hybrid vehicle, but I can't afford those either. The lower energy lightbulbs are even at outstanding prices compared to the regular ones. I mean, when it comes to being more environmentally safe or feeding my children, there is no contest.
Mr. Wizard
2006-07-03 11:18:15 UTC
The first major step towards the goal of getting everyone aware of and involved in the use of energy efficient devices has to come from corporate industrial America.

American corporate industry, despite it's degreed administrative CEO's, are fairly dumb; not much smarter than they see us, the American public (they view us as brainless, submissive cattle). The only language they understand is MONEY. Either the U.S. Government installs juicy tax break incentives for corporate participation in or severe BILLION DOLLAR penalties to corporate refusal in phasing out energy hungry appliances.

Once a total successful phaseout of energy hungry appliances/devices is made, they'll leave us to naturally use such energy saving everyday household and business devices.
kath68142
2006-07-02 15:38:22 UTC
The best incentive is generally making enviromentally safe products more affordable to the average Jane & Joe. In my house, I've already got an energy-efficient furnace & air conditioner. I like the idea of solar panels but geez, even now, they are so expensive. Yep, in order to convert more people to living in the enviroment, companies and the government need to assist every person afford the product and the installation costs as well.
Partyplanner21
2006-07-01 07:49:33 UTC
There are so many new and in development devices out there. To get people to convert, strictly speaking, manufacturers of these devices need to lure the consumer using his wallet. In short: show them the money. Is it realistic to use this device? How much money will it cost to implement and maintain? Is everyone else using it? Because what good is it if only a few people use it? Consumers are interested in knowing how something will impact their bottom line, yes, but they also know those micro-scale changes (recycling, energy efficient plumbing, etc.) enacted by states and towns help, but they don't have the same impact as changes at the Federal-, or much more importantly - global- level. The frustration factor is keeping adoption of more energy-efficient products at a low. We look to developing countries' heavy reliance upon fossil fuel and the overall ignorance of the problem and question what impact our own microcosm changes - separating our plastics from our tin and glass - will have with a problem reaching critical levels across the globe.

Unfortunately, the really big ideas are sitting dormant in those environmental engineering think-tanks, waiting for federal funding for real-world implementation.

Currently, the adoption of efficient resources such as wind farming, solar power, hydro-electric, hydrogen, and waste oil recycling and the plain old refuse recycling you've been doing for years now are some of the big things we can do NOW. We're just waiting for those undeveloped countries to catch up. That's frustrating. Why should I pay a premium for a lightbulb if some guy in Developing Country X is still using coal to heat his house, along with two billion of his countrymates?

On the state and Federal levels: We need to change our current thinking, that these resources are strictly niche products, or the end result of academic or lab research that has no practical application in solving our real world energy crisis. Therefor we need to market these products at a reasonable price, using the same strategies employed by oil companies and fossil-fuel industries, while also getting the idea of the bottom-line cost savings benefit across to consumers and corporations.

Federally, the United States MUST take a strong stand against corporations - nationally and internationally - that pollute and degrade our natural resources. There must be bans on further development (who needs another Wal-Mart or manufactured McMansion neighborhood?). Government must be an advocate for small, civic-minded businesses, and help them to thrive in the hearts of towns that are currently ghost towns teetering at the margins of superhighway retail-belts. Pork barrel politics feed the wealthy minority while the majority pays the price.

On the state, town level, we need to soften our stance on new technologies. In Vermont and Aspen Colorado, wind farms, solar, and hydro power give back to the environment while taking nothing away. And the residents living in these "off-the-grid" pockets are making money- lots of it! Surprisingly, there are too many examples of residents in towns who want nothing to do with those sustainable energies. One reason heard recently at a town meeting on the subject: "those windfarms are ugly. I don't want to be responsible for bringing ugliness to anytown, USA." Well, honey, so is global warming, cancer, acid rain, polluted lakes and streams, mercury-laden fish, PCBs and countless other unknown threats to our environment and health - those that our old ways of thinking only serve, and which alternative energy must solve.
Eric N
2006-07-04 12:04:40 UTC
Consumers on a whole do not understand Energy. One idea would be to require all devices to carry a label similar to the nutrition label on food. This label would state the average amount of energy it took to produce the product (in terms the public can understand, maybe comparing it to some standard wigit), the amount of water it took to produce it, pounds of toxic waste released into the enviroment, and the average amount No2, Co2 produced. Then state on the product the average amount of these four things Energy, water, C02 and No2 produced for some sort of standard use as well as a disposal index.

Side programs to this could be added, for instance, you could have a voluntary tax or give the money to a organization which would spend 1/3 to developing energy alternatives and utilization (nuclear, wind, consumer waste, cellulose ethanol, better use of oil and coal), 1/3 to carbon dioxide sequesteration (based on average CO2 produced), and 1/3 to industries in the USA which produce products with a lower energy & polution impact. Something like this. Then allow tax payers to write off a portion of this on thier taxes (maybe all of it depending on the magnitude of the tax). Buisness happy, People happy.
menndebi
2006-07-03 13:26:18 UTC
First, you would have to 'convert' the people. We become "set in our ways" and for most it is hard to make changes.

Saturate the tv with commercials about energy efficiency, about global warming--but without using these words. Using these type of words tend to make people's ears close as soon as they hear them.

They need to find a way to get the message across without sounding.....ummm...like activists? Or an organization?

Not sure if those are the right words. My mind decided to have a brain fart and lost the word for it.

I am all for all the conversions, as long as it is not an inconvience. That is another thing..no one wants it to be an inconvience to them.

I am old and deserve some laziness. But there are alot of others out there that are just plain lazy!
2006-07-01 06:53:16 UTC
It comes down to cost. With the way the economy is and with energy costs being so high, the average consumer is going to purchase items that are the most cost effective. If the energy efficient devices were cheaper then the standard devices, people would be more likely to use them.
2006-06-30 07:43:03 UTC
The Gov't in some countries are paying people to generate electricity through means of solar power devices - which is then recycled into the power supply of the country and sold. Also using hybrid cars is promoted by Govts. Energy conservant houses are more affordable and pay off dividends in the long run when energy prices are expected to soar!
bartimus1234
2006-07-05 19:16:50 UTC
Well a good idea would be to hols some kind of convention like a party or somthing but have all the food cooked on energy effecient barbaques and have all the electronics be energy efficient. Basicaly have the party about energy efficient things.
JMc
2006-07-03 20:31:20 UTC
Get the government to get off their dead asses, stop dragging their feet and mass produce vehicles that run on hydrogen, or E85 or something along those lines. Hydrogen has ZERO emission, (can you imagine what our air would be like if ALL the cars on the planet had zero emissions), and not only is it made from water, but water is all that comes out of the exhaust, and the water is so clean and pure, you can drink it (not that you'd want to).

However... I'm afraid that as long as there is $$$ to be made with fossil fuels, it will be a slow process. I don't think the oil companies are in a big hurry to stop making billions in profit per year.
mj_schrader
2006-07-03 13:34:32 UTC
More options for consumers and more incentives for manufactors to make things cheaper and offer more options.

When I was looking at vehicles 3 years ago, I wanted a medium size sedan with good gas mileage. i.e. 30 highway 26 city. Most of the cars with the 30/26 mpg were hatchbacks, or little cars. Not what I wanted or needed!

I was a youth minister, I needed people room, stuff room, and I needed a cheap vehicle. So I got a 24 mpg highway Saturn L300 Sedan. Yes, I am disappointed in the gas mileage, but I have the room I need.

For other people, consider this... my best friend wants a fuel efficient vehicle. But she has 5 kids, what are her choices for vehicles? Huge with the fuel efficiency that makes her cry for joy about my car.

Now I stare at my poor lawn fried beneath the Texas sun and drought. And I think to myself, I would like to get a synthetic lawn. If Wynn in Vegas likes it, then they must look good. I would save water, not use fertilizer, not use a lawn mower, and not have my dogs tear up the yard. So I do research, the average lawn like that is 5.35 a square foot.

I turn around to see my little garden, and I see that I need mulch. Now there is this new mulch made from chewed up tires, and looks like real wood. It doesn't float off and never needs replacing. Well it's 8.35 a bag, it doesn't say the square foot covered. Since it's 1/2 the size of the pine bark mulch at 2.44, it must be 1 square foot.

Now I go into my house, I have replaced my bulbs with florescent bulbs. But my house is older, it needs lot of things to make it more efficient. My dried up wood windows need replacing at roughly $5000 for Low E glazed double hung vinyl windows.

So I read the paper, I look at the Home Depot ad, the low water usage washer and dry detecting dryer are roughly $2000 for the set. Another set that isn't energy efficient is about $800 for the set. Both are name brands.

Then I notice in the add the bigger TVs that people want, do not have energy star stickers. So I wonder why aren't they trying to make energy efficient TVs?

Now with all this thinking, I am thirsty, and because our city has NASTY tasting water, I have a water cooler. Water coolers do not have energy star markings, while more and more people use water coolers.

So the government tells me that if I get my stuff replaced with energy efficient stuff I will save money in the long run. However like so many other people, I barely have money to pay the bills. Most people can not afford a double, triple or quadruple first time expense to "make up the cost difference in 4 or 5 years."

Then on other items there are no energy efficient options. In vehicles, while there are options, those options are limited, almost like Ford saying "you have your choice of any color as long as its black." In this case a little bitty car.

Then there are other options that I would have to have professionally done, and no one in this area would know how to do them.

If someone would like to come to my house and make it into an energy efficient green build home I would gladly showcase it! But until someone offers to make over my house for little to no cost, I can't afford to do anything.
Stew
2006-07-03 07:56:21 UTC
First off I would tout the products themselves. I just bought a corn burning furnace. I am so excited. I will heat my 2500 sq ft home for 1/3 of my propane cost. Also there could be incentives

(like lower prices) for fuel efficient vehicles. All public buildings could be heated with garbage dump generated methane easily.

But it is my opinion that capitalism is the key. There needs to be investment by the businessmen into bio friendly fuels. When this occurs then you'll see them at the pumps. Competition spurs this country. We lost sight of that and now our car companies are on their knees. Businessmen also need to come up with uses for the biofuels they create. Its a start to finished product deal as no in place outfit is going to convert to new tactics when they still can fleece us on the old. So bye bye BP and Shell. Hello lets say, Cornco and BioStat. Thanks. Stew
NannyMcPhee
2006-07-02 17:57:32 UTC
The best way to help people convert would be to make these devices more affordable. I would have loved to buy a Prius or another comparable vehicle when I bought a car a few months ago. But I'm an average wage earner and had to settle for a $12,000 Chevrolet.
Jerry T
2006-07-01 12:51:23 UTC
The process is already underway to solve the energy problem. When I first started driving I could get a gallon of gas for 25 cents. Paying less than $5 to fill the tank, made it easy to drive those tank sized gas guzzlers that we drove. As the price of gas went through the roof, the size of cars on the road got smaller. I don't see too many of them on the road anymore, those huge 8 cylinder beasts are slowly but surely joining the dinosaurs. People have a bad habit of not changing bad habits until they are forced to.
Am
2006-07-01 11:27:29 UTC
Make DIY manuals (Easy to Understand)!

Make them CHEAP as in under $1000 or better yet under $200...

Pass them out for FREE!!!

Have educational stuff like at Hom Depot and schools teaching people how to make them (really cheaply) for them selves.

Example of CHEAP:

One really cheap way for HOME OWNERS to save on their electric bill is put a pipe 3 feet under ground all around their house, and then have it come in through the vents, it'll create a cave effect and it should stay cooler in the summer and hotter in the winter just like a cave, which will save on the electric bill alittle bit better LOL. I have yet to try it for myself since I DO NOT OWN the place I live in, I'm in an apt and am renting... RRRrrrrrrr

P.S.

TELL people watching TV on their computer(s) with a TV card waste LESS electricity then actually turning on a TV LOL, computers are more energy effecint Hehehehehe (and cheaper, c0z wide flat screen monitors of good quality are 3 times cheaper then a BIG flat screens, same goes for projectors LOL and a projector can be BIGGER then a TV Muhahahaha).

::: Peace :::
nemesis
2006-06-30 20:55:38 UTC
In addition to selling these products cheaper, you could also give

trade in rebates, and tax incentives especially for the working stiff. The rich keep getting richer and the poor gets help and the rest of

us get the shaft. And no more unfunded mandates. Otherwise these new ideas if put into law , as unfunded mandates the property tax owners get stuck. Make these new products and ideas stand out by giving all the people incentives and more information out in public about these new products.
sarayu
2006-07-03 04:42:37 UTC
It is very essential that people take to more energy efficient devices. Then we have to understand which part of the world requires which type of energy efficient devices. What is required in Sahara is not what is required in Siberia?

Therefore a device manufactured prudently for lower cost in one part of the world has to be shared for the area in which it is absolutely essential but not available. Will anyone sell Petroleum at a lower rate where it is essentially required? Will anyone come forward to improve the road conditions of anyother nation in which highest no. of vehicles are plying to save energy? Hence what is required?

1. Essential times identified areawise.

2. New methods introduced in appropriate areas.

3. Think of global community and not of your nationality and the profit thereof.

4. Incentives for nations which sell petroleum products for supply at lower prices to really needy.

5. Incentives for nations which conserve use in petroleum products and electricity.

6.Incentives for R&D in fuel cells and to priorotise to use them where paucity of petroleum products.

7. Encourage to use more solar devices in countries adjoining equator.

8. Take it as global problem and organisations in different areas educated to approach globally.

9. Last but not the least, the developed countries giving an ear to the millions of shouts of vows of developing nations.

Ramachandran V.
2006-07-02 21:37:59 UTC
Cost- if i can barely afford $1K for a refrigeratorm can I afford to add $100 more to the cost so that it is energy efficient. The concept is great, but the implementation sucks.

Same thing for hybrid cars, they cost $1000's more then their gas counterparts.

While it does seem to make sense that buying the hybrid in the long run will save money, you can't afford it in the short run.

I think we should do more to encourage alternative energy, solar or wind. But I don't know how this can be done affordably.
Helzabet
2006-07-01 17:24:02 UTC
Personally, I am working on a degree in Architectural Engineering, after which I hope to work in the log home industry. Encouraging people to build not only energy efficient homes, but self sufficient also.

Have you seen, their making log home out of concrete logs now! No need to wipe out the forests anymore!

The subject of the enviroment & energy comes up alot in Chemistry now days. Our Professors are really pushing for the interest in improving things like the life of back up batteries for solar energy and the problems with wind energy & migrating birds.

I have faith that in 4 years when I graduate, we will have made leaps and bounds in enviromental conscience. Focused eduation and research are the key.
Frank L
2006-07-02 12:42:45 UTC
Make it very costly to waste energy or use excess energy on luxury items without penalizing people who need energy for legitimate needs. I suggest the government buy energy and ration it to individuals based on need, then tax private energy sales at a rate of 300% or 400%. That way people who have modest homes and use a car for work won't pay a lot, but people who have huge homes or want gas for a boat or a big SUV will have to pay a lot for it. Use the tax revenue to develop new energy sources.
maxxx85
2006-07-01 08:42:54 UTC
Just come out with some energy saving devices which really work, then market and publicise them well, also keep a check on the cost that goes into it, this would help make those energy saving devices reach out to large group of population.
nannyj37
2006-06-30 23:23:15 UTC
There are light bulbs out there that last more than 5 years; I think that would help some, unplugging appliances that are not being used helps also, even tho they are not being used they still draw small amounts of power, Washing you clothes in cold water gets them just as clean, and uses less power to do so.. doing smaller loads, and not running the dryer till things are completly dry .. remember the good old days when the sheets were hung out on the clothes lines, I can still remember how good they smelled ..

Don't wash small loads of dishes, wait till the dish washer is full.. Same with your laundry. if you have to do small loads, set it to do small loads.. put things on handers and let them air dry. be sure to turn out the lights when you leave a room, silly to have a light on in a room if no on is in it. the boogy man is long gone !! Small night lights will do just as well, if you must have a light on at light to see..

Don't have your TV and stereo on just for the noise.. if you are not watching it or listenintg to it turn it off.. big powre guzzlers there..

Car pool, take the bus, ride a bike, walk, subways, the L, buy smaller cars that get better milage. the big gas hogs are out.. Get a Motorcycle.. but be safe with it.. recycle everything, did you know that the fleece that you love to wear in the winter comes from recycled plastic ?? Just a flick of a light switch can help a bunch, every one can help that way.. wood burning stoves is another way. even if it is for back up heat. Windmills are coming back full force.. great idea.. we if all stop and think about it we could all come up with at least 5 things that could help save our planet....
gokart121
2006-06-30 07:43:57 UTC
Start wrenching down on power requirements on new appliances to the 12v standard....you can get 12v fairly easy off about $500 in solar panels, it's a fun weekend project to put those things in,

you've got all this portable stuff now that's better than the big ol' clunky home appliances, a clothesline draws ZERO BTU's/amps off the grid, walking is good for you, maybe the $3 gas is a blessing in disguise...Exxon may be rakin' it in, but the whole country's waking up to the fact that we just waste too damn much energy. Fixing your head is step #1, step #2 is dumping all your wasteful stuff...
Answers
2006-07-14 04:26:44 UTC
We must use heat and light from the sun.

Yes, 12 volt systems will come into their own.

Wind and water systems work well but there is

room for improvement.

12 volt solar cells on rooftops can be used for

lots of low voltage items we use every day.

T.V., Computers, Lighting, Radios, etc.

There are hot water heating systems which use

Solar heat. There are also home made storeage

rooms to store solar heat in rocks, etc.

There will be a lot of new products on the market

as efficiency improves.
HumerusOnline.com
2006-07-03 15:20:29 UTC
Make them available!

For three years I drove an EV1, the electric car, and the #1 problem was getting the manufacturer (GM) to fully support the car - with advertising, marketing, PRODUCTION.

They had enough interest and technological gusto to create a wonderful gas-free car that really worked, that was fantastic, that people (who saw one or better yet drove one) LOVED!

But they didn't make many. They didn't make them truely available. They made only one television commercial, then claimed no one was interested and pulled it. It's gone, and most people didn't even know it existed.

People actually WANT to feel good about the choices they make, to save the environment, have a healthier world, etc... Make the product available and people will support it!
wishorstish
2006-07-03 14:08:09 UTC
I need something affordable. It's not that I don't want to use more energy effiecient things it's just that these things cost so much more money to buy. Also too my gas furnace is suppose to be more energy effiecient but I haven't seen the difference in my gas bill these last two winters. And I have it checked every year before it gets turned on to make sure it's in proper working order. So there is nothing wrong with it.
star_momma
2006-07-03 10:49:18 UTC
As many people have said before me, the main problem is cost. Even those who truly want to be energy efficient often are unable to upgrade to things like solar energy or a hybrid vehicle because they are still more expensive than the alternatives. As cost drops, they will become more common and more popular.
smdinla@sbcglobal.net
2006-07-02 19:57:44 UTC
I think it is clear that Hydrogen will be the energy of the future. The public needs to become much better educated on alternative fuel sources. They need to understand the cost to create alternative fuel sources, such as ethanol. They also need to become educated on the by products.

Hydrogen fuel cells are close, but it still costs too much to make produce the gas, (once again, relying on fossil fuel in the mfg. process).

Simply, when it is all said and done, it will come down to convenience. One day, one of our petroleum companies will begin to add hydrogen storage tanks and pumps. once that commitment is made, so the fuel is readily available, we will see a rapid transformation.

Until then, it is not relevant. No matter how concerned the public becomes, if they cannot buy the fuel to run their automobile, they will not buy a vehicle whose engine runs on hydrogen.
Ragriav
2006-07-02 15:43:13 UTC
There are many simple and inexpensive things you can do around the house to make it more environment friendly

1. Don't leave water or light running when you aren't using it.

2. Use as little hot water as possible. Heating the water uses up more energy.

3. Don't use heating or air conditioning when you don't have to. That also uses electricity.

4. Buy more energy efficient appliances, such as fluorescent lights.
?
2006-07-13 08:59:06 UTC
1. Offices, homes and public place administrators to install instruments for reducing lightings, fans and such utilities if the occupants are not using the place, which can also be detected by some kind of motion-detectors. Fine-tunining, as an on-going process, would eliminate discomfort, if any, happen to the inhabitants. We would save energy and that ultimately would change our habit (lifestyle) and awareness to conserve energy.

2. Car-pooling and such Mass Transport systems to be built in places where these are practicable. The circular railway and waterways to be built and utilized in countries where these are feasible.

3. We have already conserved energy by utilizing electronic communication systems such as expanded network of Telephones, Mobile phones, e-mails (websites included), fax etc. We used to travel distances to communicate, in recent past, by driving or using airlines which has now been curtailed significantly though these are not tangible to us due to the abnormal growth of the demand for energy.

So, efforts should be made to make above noted communication media available to maximum number of the population of the earth even if the MNCs would need to contribute to make these cheaper for the poor.
raebug2000
2006-07-03 11:41:18 UTC
It would have to be a community effort with government enforcement. People as a whole dont like change. You can offer to replace people's possesions....if replacement ofpossessions and a tax was imposed on things people refused to replace ( ie the gas guzzler some 80 year old man still drives ) ....

Offer a fair trade for trade. People arent going to give up whattheyown so easily because the US isa greed centered society.
OneRunningMan
2006-07-02 16:05:19 UTC
Governments will have to take this bull by the horns and also provide incentives!

One way:

"Wind Powering America is a commitment to dramatically increase the use of wind energy in the United States. This initiative will establish new sources of income for American farmers, Native Americans, and other rural landowners, and meet the growing demand for clean sources of electricity.

Through Wind Powering America, the United States will achieve targeted regional economic development, enhance our power generation options, protect the local environment, and increase our energy and national security.

While visiting the Wind Powering America Web site you can find state wind maps, small wind consumer's guides, wind workshops that are going on in your area, and much more. Visit the "State Activities" section to the left to read news articles, press releases, and fact sheets for the area of your interest."

A few sites to visit for info:

"EnSave Energy Performance Inc. This energy calculator shows farmers all the aspects that can lead to

energy savings on the farm.

– Address: 65 Millet Street, Suite 105, Richmond, VT 05477

– Tel: 800-732-1399; Fax: 802-434-7011

– http://www.ensave.com/EnergyCalculators.htm/

• Efficiency Vermont. This is a source of quick information about lowering costs with energy efficiency in

new equipment or in existing or new building designs. It recently began to provide 0% financing to supplement

financial incentives and technical assistance for dairy farms.

– Address: 255 S. Champlain Street, Suite 7, Burlington VT 05401

– 1-888-921-5990

– http://www.efficiencyvermont.com/

• Consumer's Guide to Small Wind Electric Systems in Vermont

– http://www.eere.energy.gov/windpoweringamerica/pdfs/small_wind/small_wind_vt.pdf/

• Renewable Energy Vermont

– P.O. Box 1036; Montpelier, VT 05601;

– Phone/Fax (802) 229-0099

– Andrew Perchlik: E-Mail perchlik@REVermont.org

– http://www.REVermont.org

• Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas

– ATTRA . www.attra.ncat.org

• Vermont Alternative Energy Council

– 147 Allen Brook Lane, Suite 104, Williston, VT 05495

– (P) 802.879.4896/ (F) 802.879.5486

– http://www.vaec2000.com/"
Manny
2006-07-02 13:05:14 UTC
Businesses and entrepreneurs alike dwell into supporting earth and make of it a profitting prop. Problem is private investors and banks, which with no advise or credit get in the middle to protect public interests. This stops with credit unions and independent prospectors working towards a common goal, with no desire to control or diminish foes economy.

Efficient devices are carbon detrites and worm oil, these don´t seem attainable or convenient, yet with almidons and coolers they both provide good fuel and pollution (140 miles/gallon).

Organic trash and sodium peroxide combined equally and with a tenth of carbon dioxide get solved and evaporated, sure some remains, it is powdered, after crum cools it is mixed with the cocke remains and buffered, then becomes oilage, a 160 octanes oil.

Worm oil is gendered with aluminum oxide and rotten cotton, even trashed oils, mixed together and metabolized in heat and some alcohol to become asbestos hidrate, through aspersion and withdraw; after it is filtered and evaporated, the result is crashed with its cocke and powdered. It is a very useful brum or chliston, of 200 octanes, very clean and pleasant to smell.

These are both successes into fuel thinking and dismissing of damage inflicted to our planet, these as bullions are usable to vehicles and engines around.

They will be popular in some 20 years on hibrid cars.
2006-07-01 04:54:47 UTC
The question is flawed. We don't need to "help people convert" we need to convert the movers and shakers, the ones who got us in this mess. We need to turn the auto and energy companies around. Take Brazil for example, they have a great system to sugar canes into methanol. We have a much better opportunity with turning corn into methanol, but our country seems to no do this. Turning to using methanol as a fuel source would provide us with a cleaner pollution and turn down our reliance on oil and the middle east.

methanol, look it up.
lemonadebogainville
2006-07-03 17:53:50 UTC
First you need to introduce the energy efficient devices and the benefit they will do to people. Encourage them to turn to this devices instead of the more expensive ones. Who will not be converted if they will see cthe good benefits in a cheap cost. Goodwill to mankind.
Me3TV
2006-07-02 10:24:23 UTC
The simplest and most efficient way to encourage conversion to energy efficient devices is to allow the cost of energy to rise fast and high and stay there. Whatever causes that - will cause a shift to energy efficiency. Limit exploration and drilling, tax it, allow international competition for it to heat up. Allow unstable countries to use their energy resources to manipulate global concerns and driveup prices by fear.
2006-07-03 08:08:55 UTC
I truly believe there should be incentives given to people who convert to new energy saving devices. One of them should be to give anyone who converts approximately 3 million dollars in unmarked bills. That would get me buying some energy efficient devices...but until then I'll drive around in my big SUVs and 4X4s and burn gallons of oil and pee in the woods.
nik named mom
2006-07-02 17:57:28 UTC
We can make it standard, where,say, the new house comes with radiant heat that is solar powered. The car only comes with bio diesel or electric. We can create financial incentives for switching to "green power": tax credits, outright lower cost, etc. Free stuff for doing the right thing, make the recycle program mandatory, and don't charge them for recycling. Just a few ideas, but money can be counted on to always get people's attention.
Bluealt
2006-07-02 12:22:01 UTC
Help people understand the difference in energy savings in each particular appliance or category.

Keep the cost of newer more efficient devices comparable to the old stuff.

Help folks understand how to make the change & show them how to do it.
rosie w
2006-07-01 23:07:19 UTC
I think we need to start with making it more public aware,I think more in the news and local papers would be a good start,talk shows would help.People don't get the opportunity to know of many of the energy efficient devices out there.Now with cost of heat so high and gas for transportation,people will want to be more knowledgable to efficent devices.
Spiritualseeker
2006-06-30 07:58:23 UTC
Create awareness among people regarding the adverse effects of energy deficient devices, suggest effective and viable alternatives, mobilize public opinion to fund subsidies, where such energy efficient devices are not within the reach of common man.
The Oracle Of Portland Maine
2006-07-04 19:22:23 UTC
Educate & inform the people through television and print ads. Get together with utility companies that want to help inform the people about helpful and economical ways to be more energy efficiant.
She Says...
2006-07-04 14:48:13 UTC
Perhaps have a Home Expo event. The devices can be displayed and demonstrated and offered at a reduced price if purchased at the event. Offer the opportunity of getting a rebate for turning in your old device for a new Eco friendly device.
Gray Matter
2006-07-03 11:09:59 UTC
People are motivated by one thing: Money!

Get the Federal and State governments to give Tax breaks to those who use energy efficient products.
Par'o
2006-07-03 07:50:32 UTC
My suggestion is to expend massive effort to produce fuel cells for the masses; every residence with its own power-pack.

Advantages:

(1) To produce 100-million fuel-cell-power-packs will drastically lower the cost per unit to an affordable level;

(2) There would be no more regional blackouts or brownouts;

(3) There would be NO MORE massive power plants constructed, with their attendant hazards and underestimated mega-costs;

(4) Fuel cells will run on bio-fuels, generate NO GREENHOUSE GASES, smoke, or NUCLEAR WASTE; and

(5) After paying for the equipment over time, the homeowners would have CHEAPER electricity, not ESCALATING costs.
Poppabear
2006-07-02 14:53:23 UTC
The oldest and most efficient motivation is self interest. When it is personally worth more to convert than it is to keep the old devices, we (individually and as a whole) will change.
onenonblonde
2006-07-01 22:32:09 UTC
Change the message, change the perception.

The current message on energy conservation is one of abstract fear. The general population does not understand or imagine the ultimate consequences of global warming. A message that constantly warns of a future abstract negative only instills apathy or inaction.

While science cannot predict with "CNN accuracy" that "X" effect of global warming will happen on "Y" date, they can be more specific than the information currently disseminated.

More importantly, products that are more efficient are generally perceived to be more expensive, more cumbersome to use and inferior in quality. Specific messages as to product value, ease of use, and durability are paramount to cultivating widespread consumer acceptance.

As we say in the south, "Quit preaching to the choir. They get it." Change the message to one that reaches the congregation and the community.
hatingmsn
2006-07-01 15:17:30 UTC
I think one way to make people convert to more efficient devices is to make it affordable. I feel that most people want to help the environment but not everyone can afford to make the necessary changes to autos, homes, etc. If there were an economical-and usable source-I feel that it would empower people to do better.
Thom Thumb
2006-06-30 21:37:27 UTC
Now, there is a wealth of information sitting in the country of many states. Especially Ohio, PA, Indiana and New York. They are called the Amish. What do they do to contribute to pollution and global warming? Not a lot! Possibly nothing at all. If we were to take lessons from these gentle people in how to conserve, not overuse, we would learn a lot. For a look at how they conserve, it is eye-opening to look at a major supplier of goods to the Amish, and they're online at http://www.lehmans.com/ - where there is every kind of non-electric device, etc.

ps, Enjoyed your answer to my earlier question!
DoveDog
2006-07-04 17:08:47 UTC
Money talks! Most people do not see the benefit in changing to energy efficient equipment. They key is correct marketing. Marketing to the "green" will not go very far. Manfac. or organizations need to market to the "market." Most people in the world are concerned with where they are getting their next meal from or how they will pay their utility bill. It is imperative that you match the benefits to the audience. All of the products you listed above will benefit the end-user in many ways after the initial investment is recouped.

It is a tough one...but all boils down to marketing.
PeaceIsComming
2006-07-03 05:28:17 UTC
I suggest starting to tax gasoline, diesel, and other fossil fuels more heavily. I suggest doing this over the course of a few years, adding around 10 cents per year to the tax per gallon.

This would encourage a switch over from CO2 creating fuels to enviromentally friendly fuels. It would also raise money that the government could use to clean up the damage created by the excess CO2 (such as planting new trees).

PEACE IS COMING SOON!
CJ
2006-07-01 22:01:48 UTC
We can't go back, for one....meaning they have to be AS efficient or better. Products have to be made better to use, more efficient and CHEAPER! Incentives in the name of $$ [less taxes] You cannot ask us to use less A/C for example, but you can give us incentives not to run it 24/7 at same temp -- for example. Make available alternatives to what we have now BUT not more expensive like we have now.
*toona*
2006-07-02 22:31:51 UTC
Before any moves are made the major priority is to have the solutions be cost friendly to the users!All the new things that are invented must be able to be bought by the public at reasonable prices..so all can use them not just the wealthy...Once that is achieved then we may see some definite changes in society!
b_friskey
2006-07-02 14:43:15 UTC
I believe that most people would gladly convert to more energy efficient means, but right now it is simply too expensive to do so. Hybrid cars, solar panels, etc, are at this time only available to the upper class and wealthy.
tpapnppigbtm
2006-07-01 09:13:32 UTC
We can help people convert to more energy efficient devices by educating them about the options available.
irishgirl
2006-06-30 20:28:58 UTC
Lower the cost! Would I buy a more energy efficient appliance, car, etc if it were as cheap as the alternative? Of course- I want to do my part, too. But if it costs a lot more, then the benefits for the environment don't outweigh the deficit of my bank account. Incidentally, this would also be how you can convince people to eat healthier, and more organically.
Juvenile
2006-07-04 14:41:14 UTC
Need to help builder with tax credits tied to energy savings on homes. You are going to have to get kids involved with the whole thing. Projects in school, etc. It's the young that will change the new shape of energy!
2014-11-21 11:31:52 UTC

Source(s):
2006-07-03 13:07:54 UTC
When gasoline prices go up, people consider buying hybrids. So, the oil producers and companies are the most effective motivator for fuel/energy efficient change, so far.
Sohrab S
2006-07-02 19:07:38 UTC
Well, first of all, Car companies can start converting most or all of their vehicles into electrical powered or fueled engines, or cars can be taken into service for little or no cost to change their engine from gas fuel into electric fuel. Also, in order to not create that much global warming along with that, trash companies such as AAA or Waste Management can offer buckets not only for paper, but for glass, plastic, and cans also. Yay. XD
soubassakis
2006-07-08 00:35:42 UTC
Economy!

People and societies are driven by economy and finances!

BUT, the rulers of the world, including petroleum companies, are composing a peculiar group which is interested only for the continuation of their rein (like religions, politicians, etc.)!

Also, engineering and scientists are working for improvements, which are "allowed" by the rulers! Step by step, inventors, scientists and engineers are improving devices to higher efficiencies!
auntiegrav
2006-07-04 18:29:53 UTC
Ban all advertising outside 200 miles of where a product is manufactured.

Pass the FairTax bill which is in Congress right now. Put all taxes onto sales tax so that people realize the cost of wars to get resources to feed their consumptive desires.

Trying to invent your way out of this crisis is like trying to buy your way out of bankruptcy. We don't need MORE junk, we need LESS.

We need a society that realizes the importance of frugality, and we won't get it as long as everyone is trying to invent the next solar powered pet rock.
rubyrudy
2006-07-05 17:06:03 UTC
Immediate rebates or tax credits for the converstions to more energy efficiant devices and better availblity to persons or companies that process the conversion.
kate86
2006-07-02 08:53:58 UTC
Well there is this group about to blow up big on this subject they have built Many Many things to help with saving energy they are trying to get enough people to potion cause the government won't let them do so cause it will put a lot of people out of jobs. My dad knows more about it then I do . If you contact me i will let you know more. If you get involved now it will only cost you 10 $ but wait till it comes out on market it will cost you over 5 grand. JUST CONTACT ME AND I WILL GET YOU MORE INFO RISK FREE !!!
happymrzot
2006-07-01 22:03:04 UTC
Look, I dont know what the cost is, but since the ocean is gaining water, we need to make a desalination plan that pumps water and creates energy at the same time!

It has to be Done, so steal bill gates money and kid nap some MIT and Cal Tech nerds and do it!!!!
Report Abuse
2006-07-01 11:07:51 UTC
Well there are a few things that will help such as increased tax benefits for energy efficient appliances (this convinced me to go energy star with a few of my appliances). However, the only feasible long term solution is to find a way for manufacturers to make more profits from earth friendly products than they currently do. As soon as it is more profitable to sell wind energy than coal, they will sell wind; as soon as it is more profitable to sell fuel efficient automobiles than gas guzzlers, auto makers will sell those vehicles; as soon as it is more profitable to sell organic (true organic) produce than produce raised with pesticides, organic produce will become mainstream. We're a market driven economy and until we adjust the market to ensure profits for green products, we will be stuck in our current rut of pollution and energy inefficiency.
2006-07-01 22:46:07 UTC
1. Tax credits for investment into the creation of new energy technologies.

2. Tax credits for individuals purchasing new energy technologies.

3. Higher gas taxes to pay for #1 & 2.
2006-07-01 09:50:47 UTC
Price is the main concern ! The oil companies and electric companies run the world and don`t like competition. Bring down the price so poor people can afford (clean) energy and it will be bought ! Me personally would like to change but can`t afford to.
elec_tro_lux
2006-07-01 03:54:03 UTC
The methods are there and being improved daily, but the costs are so high! People can't just toss what they have and buy new expensive just because it's better! Just have the better ready when the old breaks and make sure the average hard worker can pay for it!
rreyesaf82
2006-07-04 12:06:04 UTC
One thing that could really help to reduce greenhouse gases and the American economy is the alternative fuel E85. 85% ethanol 15% gasoline. It burns cleaner then gasoline alone and it's made from corn right here in the US. Ford and Chevy make vehicles that run of this stuff, but they don't advertise it very much at all.
Ms_E_Bunny
2006-07-03 22:48:42 UTC
I just wish people would consider the solar energy option. Much cheaper. Not damaging to the environment. Not wasting any more resources of our planet. I've felt that way for a long time.
2006-07-03 11:53:00 UTC
Show them how they can afford to buy those devices.

A all solar home adds aobut $50,000. to the price.

thats an extra $500 a month on the mortgage.

Ethanol is about $8.00 a gallon in bulk.

a tankfull would be about $160. per fill up.

Hybrid electric cars have a $6000. battery that has to be replaced every three years (bet you didn't know that).
kalabalu
2006-07-02 07:20:31 UTC
Make it cost effective. Presently, power crisis/services like electricity,gas,diesel are all becoming expensive with inflation sky rocketing , the reduction of cost in the consumption would be an appropriate incentive.
jadeaaustin
2006-07-01 15:15:06 UTC
It's called cheap and easy to use. It works for all technology, you want to go green fine, but when I have to master a new skill to install and use it. Like recycling, this is seperated from that and that goes here and this goes here. It's easier to dump the garbage in the garbage can. You want to treat me like a killer, and a criminal cause I like not be hassled over something that not a problem go ahead. But I'm like most Americans, ask the software company cheap and easy to use will make us want to do it, not because it's right but because we can imagine any other way to be.
heavenly Good
2006-07-03 23:28:25 UTC
Help people to develop a habit of cherishing the energy on the earth and never waste it,because wasting your energy this generation will cause the loss of treasure of the next and next generation.
hop0409
2006-07-02 18:04:02 UTC
When Carter was president, he gave substantial tax breaks to people who installed energy-saving solar systems. I hate to say it, but people are in it for the immediate rewards. To tell someone you will be saving the planet for the future generation doesn't satisfy the "what's in it for me" mentality. Plus, when you're scrounging for money just to put food on the table, it's hard to be concerned about the future of the planet. In other words, as stated above...make it cheaper!
ninjadude
2006-07-04 04:03:59 UTC
look at Brasil, they are a energy independent country! just look at the report!

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil -- After nearly three decades of work, Brazil has succeeded where much of the industrialized world has failed: It has developed a cost-effective alternative to gasoline. Along with new offshore oil discoveries, that's a big reason Brazil expects to become energy independent this year.

To see how, take a look at Gildo Ferreira, a 39-year-old real-estate executive, who pulled his VW Fox into a filling station one recent afternoon. Instead of reaching for the gasoline, he spent $29 to fill up his car on ethanol made from sugar cane, an option that's available at 29,000 gas stations from Rio to the Amazon. A comparable tank of gasoline would have cost him $36. "It's cheaper and it's made here in Brazil," Mr. Ferreira says of ethanol. If the price of oil stays at current levels, he can expect to save about $350 a year.

[Saving at the Pump]

At current prices, Brazil can make ethanol for about $1 a gallon, according to the World Bank. That compares with the international price of gasoline of about $1.50 a gallon. Even though ethanol gets less mileage than gasoline, in Brazil it's still cheaper per mile driven. As a result, ethanol now accounts for as much as 20% of Brazil's transport fuel market. The country's use of gasoline has actually declined since the late 1970s. The use of alternative fuels in the rest of the world is a scant 1%.

Yet countries wanting to follow Brazil's example may be leery about following its methods. Military and civilian leaders laid the groundwork by mandating ethanol use and dictating production levels. They bankrolled technology projects costing billions of dollars, despite criticism they were wasting money. Brazil ended most government support for its sugar industry in the late 1990s, forcing sugar producers to become more efficient and helping lower the cost of ethanol's raw material. That's something Western countries are loath to do, preferring to support domestic farmers.

With government support, sugar companies and auto makers' local units delivered cost-saving breakthroughs. "Flexible fuel" cars running ethanol, gasoline or a mixture of both, have become a hit. Car buyers no longer have to worry about fluctuating prices for either fuel because flex-fuel cars allow them to hedge their bets at the pump. Seven out of every 10 new cars sold in Brazil are flex-fuel.

Brazil is also fortunate that sugar is the cheapest way to make ethanol and Brazil has the right conditions for growing the crop -- plenty of land, rain and cheap labor.
?
2006-07-01 08:49:49 UTC
Let people know of the money they can save as well as the effects on the environment. For instance using a certain kind of fluorescent light bulb in their house which can save them money. Or buying appliances with the energy star on them. Or just by recycling........
2006-06-30 07:46:47 UTC
We are taking in a big way for cultivating Bio fuel plants like

Neem, Jethropa, Pongemia covering all barren land.

These plants does not require fertile land, no need of fertilisers, pesticides no intensive cultivation. about 35 to 40% oil could be extracted and could be directly used in Diesel engines.
KIMMIE OF B-MORE
2006-07-04 14:31:38 UTC
Stop buying big cars and truck . Carpool. Stop using thing that use a lot of energy. It might just be to late to save the environment. The things we did 20 years ago are affecting us to day
Pastor Chad from JesusFreak.com
2006-07-03 01:25:39 UTC
We need an energy crisis to force people to have to conserve. Americans are so short-sighted that they only change when confronted with a crisis. We've got a ton of technology that can help, but people haven't shown a willingness to use it.
2006-07-02 16:03:19 UTC
I think that you should advertise these energy efficient devices to younger people because they are the future generation.
Man with a plan.
2006-07-08 11:36:08 UTC
I think that it is working itself out by the price of energy going up. I know that fuel economy is now one of the top factors in the choice of my next vehicle. People will behave in a way that will preserve the money in their pockets. Alternate energy will develop as the cost of current energy surpasses the costs of the alternatives.
2006-07-04 00:22:52 UTC
i'd say - the best way (economically) would be to draw a faint picture of what would happen if what they ignore goes on...and then, show them how it can be solved by means of their cooperation. tell them means of doing what they ought to do and thus save the lives of their future generations!

surely you wouldn't want that those coming afetr you should perish?! if not, either don't bring them to this world or provide a safer environment for their time, all you have to do is incorporate a few changes and the future will be yours (theirs!)

best regards XXX
oiseaunoir2002
2006-07-02 13:22:20 UTC
If you give people a break on new energy prices,they will adopt them,new kinds of energy always seem to cost more,and is another burden for people who cant afford what they have now.
jimi p
2006-07-01 03:49:26 UTC
Government needs to quit swinging from the nuts of big oil.

Federal grants to municipalities for aquisition of hydrogen busses & refueling stations.

Federal spending to educate the public about fuel cells.

Tax breaks to companies that generate their own power using fuel cell technology.
bjoybead
2006-06-30 23:42:00 UTC
First, be a good example; make your own decisions for clean energy; vote with your dollars!!! Riding my bicycle is my first best choice (and has saved me hundreds of dollars, this year alone.) Be humble when encouraging others (not judgemental). - See, cnvc.org - to learn to communicate non-violently. Also, get as close to vegetarian as you can.... Be careful that your investment money does NOT go to ....industries that pollute.
Guzman
2006-06-30 07:43:22 UTC
Make them inexpensive for starters. Reduce governmental backing of manufacturers of "less" energy efficient goods.
kurticus1024
2006-07-04 17:38:56 UTC
The main force for change will be economic. When gas is $15 per gallon, people will buy the more efficient vehicles.
Digger Barnes
2006-07-02 20:14:07 UTC
By making all such devices that are more energy efficient more user friendly and increasing their awareness among people
limetemple
2006-07-02 13:06:00 UTC
we need keyboard generators so while were typing were generating power - than you could im all night and be contributing to the grid - and stop driving cars and using oil based products - people can get used to living like the flintstones if we can just all work together (however i will be voting best answer for the scantily clad woman post)

worm oil?
wellington s
2006-07-04 04:58:35 UTC
first in foremost, we need to clean-up our environment but the big question is "HOW"? The only main aspect is to start with one`s discipline.Then we can start by doing more efficient things to convert to energy.
winona e
2006-07-02 12:36:13 UTC
It would help if the cost of some of the enviromental devices weren't so expensive. Solar power for example, very costly.
mcfalcon59
2006-07-02 09:06:45 UTC
further development of organic materials, farms set-up to supply produce/crops for development. hydro power and hydraulics technology can be utilized and developed. even more waste products could be recycled. the development of micro-computers could run the systems. the ancient civilizations started the process, perhaps we should use our technology to refine their innovations. create a market let it grow with demand.
cursedterror
2006-07-01 18:06:38 UTC
two really easy ways

1: give them away free

2: make them cheaper than the products that use more energy

everybody wants value for money above all else and will always think someone else will do it when it comes to their share of "green issues" like saving energy and recycling
Little Wifey
2006-07-01 16:51:20 UTC
Make them more affordable. It is cheaper NOT to be energy efficient.....and with the average person money isnt easy enough to come by that we can splurge so many extra dollars to be "Green" ...
evilredlight
2006-07-03 04:28:31 UTC
Make the unenviromental alternatives price reflect their actual cost. Factor in the cost to the enviroment, and to health, etc. Make unenviromental companies pay for damages that they do and that their products cause.

This would make enviromental products inexpensive by comparison.
2006-07-01 22:57:07 UTC
I think that they will have to do what they did with energy saving washers and dryer and low flow toilets. They stop making anything else and eventually, when things stop working, they take over the market.
bequalming
2006-06-30 07:48:05 UTC
Perhaps if buying an environmentally-friendly vehicle gave us a tax break, you know.. like people buying SUVs got a tax break. Oh yeah, and eliminate the mother-f***in tax break on SUVs. WTF?

How about subsidizing farmers to actually grow corn for E85 to reduce its price?

How about subsidizing farmers to grow food for eating organically?

How about cancelling the mother-f***in subsidizing for farmers to grow nothing?
nereid_queen
2006-06-30 07:42:58 UTC
There's really nothing that you can do. If people want to do something helpful, they will. If they don't, they won't. It's just a simple question of people's values and how hard they're willing to work to get things done.
2006-07-03 22:42:59 UTC
well simply put give them away free or at least cheaper.

like every other thing that is good for you or good for the enviroment its much more expensive- why is that? if its got less in it like less salt shouldn't it cost less to produce? even if something like that costs more to make if its for the betterment of our enviroment it should be made available to all and not just for the wealthy (with a conciounce)
gabberswhiffendor
2006-07-02 15:25:44 UTC
first of all we need 2 do conferences with sum1 in high authority 2 this country such as the president 2 make it aware 2 all of us that this is not just for helping certain people but 2 help any1 and it will effect every1 if we dont work on it , then we shud start making people get used 2 solar and batery powered things like wat we did with giving ppl like 4 years 2 stop making vhs movies and only dvd movies, then we shud make it known unto all of the kids in skools about these things because not all kids watch the news and tell them 2 tell wat they learned 2 their parents..................there r alot of things we can do 2 help we just need 2 put our heads 2gether and think!
nordis n
2006-06-30 20:38:08 UTC
Get the government to actually give us some alternative fuel!

Oh yea that wouldn't work because all those greedy **** heads who have stock in oil would never let that happen, and oh yea I almost forgot they are our government. What do you know about that.
Kevin b
2006-07-05 09:56:59 UTC
Lower the speed limits. Increase the gasoline tax. Rescind the windfalls to the oil companies Congress GAVE in the recently passed energy bill.
almicrogirl
2006-07-01 15:08:48 UTC
Make them cheaper, make them more reliable, and make them more available. A lot of people (me included) would use energy saving devices more often if I could.
C.W.
2006-07-01 14:01:43 UTC
how can we? Its a persons choose to be efficient and if they don't want to do so it will take nothing short of a federal law to make them save energy.
2006-07-01 05:49:34 UTC
Make it affordable.

That's pretty much it. Most people won't part with thier inefficient appliances if they still work. You'd have to make it financially neutral at best (swap one for another for free) because global warming and it's disastrous effects are immaterial to most people. Unless you make it simple and cheap, they won't give a damn.
Mr. Tambourine Man
2006-07-04 14:53:51 UTC
make a long boring movie with someone who could have been president but wasnt, doing a slide show about the effects of global warming and of course campaigning for the presidency 6 years from now. i really think someone should go through with this, i call the rights right now
pipi08_2000
2006-07-03 08:12:03 UTC
I am a single parent (widowed for 16 years) and my biggest obstacle in trying to purchase cars etc. is price.

I know it is expensive to design and build any automobile, but most of us have to rely on used vehicles due to the cost vs. new.
manofadvntr
2006-07-01 17:43:59 UTC
I can't wait for gasoline to get over $5.00 per gallon. I would like it to go even higher.

I would like to see gas and electric costs go 100% higher.

It always takes some kind of disaster for US citizens to snap to and pay attention and be less selfish and self serving.
Liz
2006-07-01 12:35:04 UTC
you know, this is one of those things, that will always be a problem.

you can talk to people, and get some people to listen, but just like everything else, there is free-will...

like littering...most people know not to do it, and all the talks, and signs, and commercials probably help with that, but there will always be people who don't care... its easier to just throw it where you are....

its sad, but most people just go for whats easiest, not what's good for everyone...

but keep up the good work, it needs to be spread, people do need to know about it,

what they choose to do is up to them, but with more stuff they know, the more likely they are to make a better decision...
2006-07-02 09:42:51 UTC
I suggest to buy a 1999 (Or newer) Volkswagen New Beetle (Or any other model) with a DIESEL engine for $10,500.00 USD or less. (Ebay Item 180003207084)

Top 3 Answerer in Business & Finance. (Vote for me)
2006-07-01 21:33:23 UTC
Lower the costs of these items. Price stops a lot of people on this.
ernie2337
2006-07-01 11:28:18 UTC
Get the government to pay a percentage of the cost for all new home builders.
don
2006-06-30 07:44:58 UTC
It has to be cheaper and work better than what is currently being used. People will not be inconvenienced.

More research and product development.
tansyangeni
2006-06-30 21:16:33 UTC
well.. have the stores selling the energy efficient devices cheaper then the others.. that way it will get bought bc its the cheapest.
Christina F
2006-07-04 10:12:45 UTC
Well, there is a way.We humans could use an electric source like Mazda did with their Smart car
personaintelligente
2006-06-30 22:41:00 UTC
Financial incentives (e.g.: tax savings, rebates, discounts, real savings on energy usage, broader usage for more practical things)
jessigirl00781
2006-07-03 08:41:46 UTC
The best way is to tell them it would cost them less. People are mostly about money and when it comes to saving it...they may go for it!
JUDAS PRIEST
2006-07-01 12:26:02 UTC
the biggest problem is affordabilty. i just love idealists, too bad none of them seem to be involved in the marketing aspect of these items. either that or they are also capitalists! it is not right or fair to make it sound like people are not interested, because we are! most of us just flat out cant afford these items when they are introduced. make these things affordable and they will popularize! put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Phoenix
2006-07-04 17:06:34 UTC
well i think if we could get people to seriously considder running more of our country on neuclear power than we may have a good source... the thing is how to do it. after that one meltdown everyone is officialy parinoid. but that only happens rarely. our " president" just needs to try and convince people that its safe again
2006-07-03 15:41:00 UTC
First invent the devices. second, take away from people, what you don't want them to use.

Third, Arvin Sloan, ban whatthe devices are to replace. That's my theory as to, how to do it.
2006-07-03 16:25:38 UTC
Disempower the ruling empire of evil aliens who control all world vital supplies.
voldemort
2006-07-03 04:53:17 UTC
we can promote eco friendly products thro ads.. celebraties can help a lot by adopting and promoting such gooda...use of public transport should be sort of enforced... days can be celebrated where u can use only vehicles like cycles....and make some roads like vehicle free zone or only use of cycles allowed somehting of tht sort...
Radha H
2006-07-02 03:16:30 UTC
u can not. until the industry, who's ruling our government, who is ruling us... won't finish all the reserves of this planet, they'll not stop. they are already sitting very comfortable, having everything organized nicely, so why the hell should they give up their income and power. to save the planet.....??? ha;D

and whoever will try to disturb this idyllic life, will be punished, and will fail miserable...
uniroyalfan
2006-07-01 13:02:39 UTC
1) Make them affordable and of good quality

2) Raise costs of fossil fuel

3) Low flow products installed in new housing ( but make a toliet that flushes properly )
answer man
2006-07-04 08:02:55 UTC
TAX INCENTIVES, for both the consumer of the product and the producer
gndmalx
2006-07-01 00:08:22 UTC
are you trying to rip off of Al Gore's question about global...whatever? Yes, I'm sure you are, just like all of the other people asking the same type of questions.
mageta8
2006-07-02 07:14:53 UTC
Make them sound appealing. Especially in price. I think that's what people cringe at when looking at the products we all ready have.
Birdlegs
2006-07-01 09:08:54 UTC
These items need to be made cheaper. Some are too expensive for most consumers to buy.
rocknrobin21
2006-07-03 06:33:59 UTC
Make them more affordable. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to drive a hybrid car instead of my huge, gas guzzleing SUV. But, they're so pricey that it would financially impossible for me to afford one.
cindy loo
2006-07-02 16:25:46 UTC
the problem is not coming up w/devices. the problem is only some will use them or be able to afford them.

it is a cruel reality.
darthsalvader
2006-07-01 02:03:52 UTC
you would really have to lower the cost, but at the same time make sure there is a good profit for the company.
_
2006-07-03 11:03:09 UTC
You could use advertisements to persuade them to change to be more energy-efficient.
?
2006-07-03 08:56:05 UTC
Make mainframe computers run from the power of potatoes!
darkblade_kalki
2006-07-02 09:22:29 UTC
Lower the price, make it easy and simple, perhaps even promote it over television or radio or such.
Virginia V
2006-07-02 19:48:22 UTC
Make it financially feasible. I would love to have solar panels ,they cost too much. the same with the cars, and the oil its big business, who would want me to cut my electric bill other than me.
Olivia
2006-07-02 09:44:50 UTC
Advertise how much they can save every year on utilities and fuel.
BEN D
2006-07-01 14:21:30 UTC
Nothing will happen until we run out of oil

(which will not happen for much longer than the so called experts

say)
Kalyansri
2006-06-30 07:46:31 UTC
By showing them that it is a "win-win"situation all the way. Not only do they save money, the nation also saves money.
2006-06-30 07:43:11 UTC
If people would start boiling pee and catching the condensation and collect it, we could drink pee without the toxins and help save the oceans.
ODUSylence08
2006-07-10 05:29:56 UTC
Cost lowering.
2006-07-04 11:28:31 UTC
Give them the postitive. Hold Fairs and conventions.
miatalise12560
2006-07-03 06:21:12 UTC
money..money...money....1) there has to be something in it for me, 2) it has to be cheaper or I should get money/save money by buying the energy conscious item 3) it has to be immediate...not just 'claim it on my taxes'. Don't get me wrong...I don't agree with that mentality....I just know how people, (Americans) think....If you pay them, they will come!
rednecklady17
2006-06-30 07:42:29 UTC
Lower the cost.
lion_zt
2006-07-03 01:23:09 UTC
Promote them with the most suitable right ways.
jimvalentinojr
2006-06-30 07:41:34 UTC
for all of the equipment that you mentioned, we will help people convert by making them cheap and affordable.
ideology o
2006-07-03 11:15:55 UTC
786.

''see no evil, hear no evil'' but as philospher johnATWELL cautioned, behavioral researches really have no choice but to acknowledge that human participant research faces them '' to tread on thin moral ice''. because they are constantly in danger of VIOLATING someones'' basis right, if only the right to privacy''!!
2006-07-02 02:05:09 UTC
find different ways to utilize the sun and wind
2006-07-03 12:27:35 UTC
raise the prices on not efficient stuff and lower the prices on efficient stuff.
shastaman98
2006-07-01 16:58:22 UTC
why not reduce the use of plastics? Is it necessary to wrap EVERYTHING in platic? Why not ban the use of any plastic that is not destined for reuse!
2006-07-01 10:19:33 UTC
you can have people refer to their recent electric bill and offer different ways of saying saving electricity for a month and them have them compare bills.
Kato
2006-07-01 07:35:03 UTC
unfortunately most people want to see what's in it for them. Being lower costs, convenience, better product, etc.
FL Girl
2006-07-02 04:03:21 UTC
Make them at a price everyone can afford.
Marlene
2006-07-01 21:22:04 UTC
Less expensive would be one hell of an incentive.
horse
2006-07-03 19:44:00 UTC
Start by convincing politicians..the people are ready
2006-07-03 10:22:44 UTC
Invent solar cars for every one!
geet840
2006-07-02 20:13:15 UTC
If they were as in expensive as posoibel more people would be inclined to buy them.
Charles W
2006-07-03 11:52:11 UTC
build them makem cheap Putnem out there happy day
jeannette_burnard
2006-07-03 04:54:26 UTC
try to use the wind turbines that will help with energy
deerwoman777
2006-07-01 18:43:03 UTC
first they should be made available to the public, at a price that all can afford.
2006-06-30 08:48:57 UTC
completely gut OIL SUBSIDIES to OIL COMPANIES

and use the resources to reward R-n-D into alternative and renewable resources
2006-07-02 01:53:13 UTC
Have scantily clad women pitching them. Sex sells.
ndmac
2006-07-03 09:21:43 UTC
Free country. Let people do it themselves.
Tina
2006-06-30 21:47:16 UTC
We can buy stuff from energy star that saves energy. http://www.energystar.gov/
2006-06-30 07:53:49 UTC
Beat them into submission.
KT
2006-07-03 21:39:13 UTC
we need to use the media..news sources ad's documentaries..an all out worldwide media blitz like we do for other situations....
2006-07-03 08:47:11 UTC
Most people don't need help!! They can do it on there own!!
bill_williamsabc
2006-07-02 10:59:09 UTC
This URL has some great stuff

http://www.climatecrisis.net/pdf/10things.pdf

and is from this site

http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/
Mango Monkee
2006-07-04 17:58:17 UTC
I just think people need to be more informed..
batinara
2006-07-01 19:48:42 UTC
lower the price
phoenix3076
2006-06-30 20:03:09 UTC
make them cheaper so that more folks can afford them.

then they might be more willing to help out.
bb
2006-07-04 07:55:23 UTC
I think that it should just make it cheaper, i would do it if i was rich. im not so I dont. too bad tho. ha, or we could boil our pee.
spookydreamer@sbcglobal.net
2006-07-01 21:47:07 UTC
make it at a price that is affordable and easy to maintain.
Todays choices tomorrows world
2006-07-01 08:12:07 UTC
Make them affordable.
2006-06-30 22:58:02 UTC
by using vegetable oil
G-gnomegrl
2006-07-04 01:12:14 UTC
show us how..

monkey see, monkey do.

if it's easy and it's more cost efficient, you bet people will be switching.
2006-07-03 11:24:46 UTC
Well, money is certainly an issue here.
Honey
2006-07-02 17:56:24 UTC
You can't you just gotta let them change when they want to
melissabgarner
2006-07-01 14:56:59 UTC
take a walk, move closer to work
biffard
2006-07-01 13:13:55 UTC
they need to be more affordable and dependable on an everyday basis.
kylergsmom
2006-07-02 23:42:08 UTC
give tax breaks money talks
dreamer20692000
2006-07-02 20:30:49 UTC
Make it cheaper
wildrover
2006-07-03 09:24:31 UTC
More advertising,discounts,etc..
honeysuckle
2006-07-01 22:15:07 UTC
we have to get a dryer that runs by sunlight
bambinno4
2006-06-30 21:43:01 UTC
mainly price
dirtee diamondz
2006-07-04 07:05:33 UTC
media blitz
Scha
2006-07-03 11:07:37 UTC
Try google for that.
2006-07-01 00:12:28 UTC
Become more and more eco friendly.
sugarpea859
2006-07-03 20:35:44 UTC
The goverment will never let it happen...
2006-07-03 03:52:51 UTC
govt subsidies seem to work well
2006-07-02 12:25:41 UTC
I really don't know the answer
2006-07-01 12:43:08 UTC
Start singing....1..2...3.. Money, money, money, mon-ey.....MONEY

Money money money mon-ey...MONEY

Some people they really need it

for some people.. it solves all their WORLDLY problems

Money ,money ,money..mon-ey... MONEY
2006-07-03 17:33:12 UTC
i do not know do not ask me this quiestion again ok goodbye
sweetvanillag
2006-06-30 20:09:31 UTC
make it a law
2006-07-01 14:37:25 UTC
destroy the inefficient stuff (not practical, but could work)
Josh
2006-06-30 07:58:02 UTC
be an example always
2006-06-30 21:39:58 UTC
offer benefits.
Phoenix
2006-07-04 17:01:06 UTC
bribe them. everyones weakness is money.
kiddo shorty
2006-07-03 13:03:24 UTC
more affordable pricing
Victoria B
2006-07-01 15:32:57 UTC
force it on people i guess
theipodrepairman
2006-07-03 18:54:25 UTC
make them more affordable
Jon
2006-07-01 11:29:47 UTC
everytime that I try and refresh the page there is a new fetured question, stop the madness please!
jyd9999
2006-07-13 07:13:20 UTC
buy me some - ill use it
2006-07-04 18:41:10 UTC
STOP POSTING THESE HIPPY QUESTIONS! THATS THE BEST WAY.
▲▼▲▼
2006-07-03 19:07:33 UTC
convert-a-what-a?
susan w