Question:
Why do people think there is global warming?
Kevin B
2005-12-12 08:58:13 UTC
Why do people think there is global warming?
Two answers:
Kes
2005-12-13 06:21:35 UTC
The short answer is that the press is promoting that notion among "the people." Among scientists it is still controversial. There are many cycles involved that are difficult to accurately analyze. For example, cold air in the arctic region cools seawater that then submerges as cold dense seawater to the bottom of the ocean and travels to the equator still icy cold then rises and is warmed and can then be returned to the North Pole. It takes about 200 years to complete the cycle. Perhaps global warming has to heat this water to have a significant lasting effect, even with the discharge of greenhouse gases. Also, the Earth radiates heat energy to outer space and we still have extremely cold nights every winter when there is no cloud cover to block radiation. Are we generating more or less cloud cover as a result of our activities? Perhaps increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will stimulate more organic growth, self-correcting the problem by reflecting more energy into space. Although there is much cause for concern and further study is needed, how many "people" take the time to back up their opinions with facts? When we shut down a factory because it emits carbon dioxide a new factory open up overseas to take its place; and our workers are out of their jobs. We must make our decisions based on the best solid facts available but try to reduce greenhouse gases where feasibly until the facts are well established.
pedros2008
2005-12-12 22:19:10 UTC
Because the Earth's temperature has already risen on average about 2 degrees fahrenheit in many parts of the world, and experiments have shown that greenhouse gases such as CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) are trapping heat inside the Earth. And many scientists think that recent temperature increases are the cause for the stronger, deadlier hurricane seasons we've been experiencing in the Gulf of Mexico. A hurricane can become much stronger with only a 1 degree temperature raise in the water, so while we're sure global warming is happening, we don't know yet for sure that the cause of global warming is the Greenhouse Effect, but there is strong evidence pointing to that.