Question:
Methane problem in Cranbourne, Victoria?
2008-09-13 01:16:55 UTC
Anyone from Victoria who has been following the news will know about the huge health scare in Cranbourne, and for those who don't, well there was a housing estate built on a dissused landfill and now there are dangerous levels of methane gas seeping out around the residents.

Now for my question; why don't they drill some holes into the ground and harvest this gas?

It would be benificial to the residents and the enviroment, for obvious reasons...... Could it really be this simple?
Three answers:
2008-09-13 20:00:26 UTC
Too many farts
Boggy
2008-09-13 07:31:35 UTC
In our town there is an old infilled landfill site that is used as a sports field. It has pipes set around the perimeter to expel the gasses. It is against planning regulations to build on this type of land (though I think in the past it used to happen). These old landfill sites are generally used as sports amenity fields or parkland for walkers. I should perhaps say that I live in the UK. I don't know if it is economical to harvest this gas, if it were I am sure our local council would do so. In Cranbourne they could drill into it and erect pipes (like the ones in our town) but I don't think the residents would be very happy about that either.
zeng
2016-12-15 22:15:14 UTC
it could be lots swifter from South Yarra to Cranbourne via prepare than driving the two of your recommendations. it incredibly is approximately seventy 5 Km from Korumburra to Cranbourne alongside some fantastically straightforward roads, so it could take a minimum of a million.a million/2 hours. The bus takes over 4 hours. it incredibly is between 40 9 and fifty two minutes from South Yarra to Cranbourne via prepare.