Question:
Al Gore...Hero or just a hypocritical fat disgusting slob?
2007-09-10 16:52:39 UTC
Activists take Al Gore to task on his diet
By Philip Sherwell, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 12:52pm BST 10/09/2007

He may be the hero of the environmental movement for his crusade against global warming but Al Gore is about to be targeted by animal rights activists over his carnivorous contribution to greenhouse gases.

Al Gore has come under fire for failing to highlight the impact of animal agriculture

Citing United Nations research that the meat industry is worse for the environment than driving and flying, animal rights groups are directing a campaign at the former American vice-president's diet.

When he delivers a lecture on global warming in Denver next month, protesters will display billboards bearing a cartoon image of Mr Gore eating a drumstick and the message: "Too chicken to go vegetarian? Meat is the No 1 cause of global warming".

The campaign is being organised by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) and is backed by other animal rights groups.

"For Al Gore, the fact that his diet is a leading contributor to global warming is a highly inconvenient truth - pun intended," said Matt Prescott, a spokesman for Peta.

Mr Gore won an Oscar this year for An Inconvenient Truth, the documentary based on his lecture-circuit presentation detailing how man is allegedly destroying the environment.

But he is now under fire for failing to highlight the impact of meat-eating.

According to recent UN Food and Agriculture Organisation research, animal agriculture generates 18 per cent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions - more than the 13.5 per cent produced by all forms of transport combined.
Eight answers:
Andy
2007-09-10 17:56:29 UTC
Why even bother posting this question? You've already made your feelings on the Democratic Party, the war in Iraq, and the environment perfectly clear with your previous slanted and loaded questions.

Sadly (they have done some good work in the past) PETA is becoming more polarized and reactionary. This grassroots organization has no troubles with "cutting off its nose to spit its face" as the old saying goes. This isn't the first time they've driven off people and groups that had previously been allies of theirs.

I noticed you didn't mention the annual pounding the current "administration" takes when PETA issues their animal rights assessment report each year.

I'll take one week of Al Gore's work on animal rights and the environment over what Bush has done for these efforts in seven years any day.
midjrsy
2007-09-10 17:07:48 UTC
Did you use all of the space that Yahoo! Q&A provides for your details?

I would not categorize Vice President Gore as either one of those terms you used. I'm sure that, like many other politicians, he does not practice what he preaches.

Al Gore is telling people what is going on with the earth's climate. Conservatives do not want to listen because they never listen to anyone who puts any amount of blame for anything on the USA.

I don't consider him a "hero". He should have been able to win the 2000 election over George W. Bush without any recounts or trials. But he's no "hypocritical fat disgusting slob" either.
jelle
2007-09-10 17:24:52 UTC
Al Gore is a hypocrite (like most politicians). More than that though, he, and most of the wacko environmentalist use scare tactics and doctored facts to scare the uninformed. Don't believe everything you hear - do a little research and make up your own mind.

P.S. He didn't win the presidential election for a reason - he didn't have anything pertinent to say and the majority went with their instinct and voted for the guy with the backbone.
jxt299
2007-09-10 16:57:54 UTC
Check it out, everybody hopes he's wrong--the conservatives because they want the oil companies to be able to continue ripping us off and polluting the atmosphere, and the liberals because they don't want the planet to end up like Venus...surface temp, 800 degrees farenheit. Yeah we are sure better off with bush, thank Satan the supreme ct stole the 2000 election for bush otherwise we wouldn't have this dandy war in Iraq and soon in Iran and 9-11 probably wouldn't have happened either. Thanks, congratulations on your splendid brain.
2007-09-10 18:44:12 UTC
PETA's trying to get some publicity (nice job helping them out, by the way) and you're using it as an excuse to take another pot shot at Gore?

He's not a hero, he's not disgusting, he's just a middle-aged man trying to get the word out. I for one prefer not to shoot the messenger, nor do I expect them to be perfect. Just sincere.
2007-09-10 22:28:43 UTC
Al Gore is nothing but a waste of human flesh in the body of a tree. He needs to just go away, like the way of the dinosaurs, just like all the rest of the tree huggers and people who say humans are the cause of global warming.
Milepost
2007-09-10 19:03:19 UTC
My vote goes for the latter description.
vladoviking
2007-09-10 20:46:16 UTC
See for yourself.